I never thought I'd see the day where I would be keeping a blog. However, I am increasingly noticing that I need a space to get my thoughts, feelings, and opinions organized and out. This space will be a reflection of the random thoughts and ideas that embody Jazmine. Topics can/will range from self-image, popular culture, unadulterated social commentary, womanism, to damnit-I-just-want-to-tell-you-how-a-nigga-is-feeling-today.
So, now that I have gotten the purpose of this blog out of the way, I can tell you what the name of the blog means and my stream of thought while coming up with it. I'm sure, in fact I'm positive, that there is nothing original about labeling myself a "black-african-american-negro" (big ups to Aaron McGruder), but I like the symbolism involved with this label simply because it is satirizing all the names that people of color have gone through within the last century. Which one is right? Which one is politically correct? It's ridiculous and is the epitome of the schizophrenia involved with trying to capitulate a collective identity among a people that have been stripped of one during their time in this country. So, to keep down confusion and to acknowledge the oppression of the past and present involved with naming, I embrace all three names as one to symbolize the blackafricanamericannegro experience in America.
Though the image above does not properly show it, there is a line going through the word "woman." I am a woman and love being a woman, but I do understand the intricacies of navigating femininity and it's devalued and inferior status within society. That along with how that status affects women, like myself, will be addressed within this blog.
I will attempt to keep it as light as I possible because I'm not too serious within my everyday life, but I won't hold your hand when the shit gets heavy either.
Read at your own risk.
Peace and Blessings.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment